Sunday, April 17, 2011

Washington D.C. : National Gallery of Art

I feel as though I've been away from the blogging world for such a long time! This weekend has come and gone in a blur. I was able to do so much! Over the next few days, I'll share with all of you what I was able to do, so get ready!

Sunday afternoon the boyfriend and I went to D.C.. He was such a sweetheart and came along with me to meet up with my Art History class since I was afraid of driving in the city. All I can say is I'm so glad he came...D.C. drivers are the worst!

This was our destination, the National Gallery of Art, home to many amazing works, including those from Renaissance Italy. The building itself is extraordinary. As with the many other buildings in D.C., the National Gallery of Art stands dignified with an interior that is so exquisite.
If you've ever been to the National Gallery of Art, you'll recognize this beautiful indoor spherical courtyard area that's surrounded by marble columns, ending in a breathtaking domed ceiling.
I was unfortunately an awful tourist, and didn't take too many pictures of the interior of the museum. The boyfriend and I were rushing like mad men trying to find the correct gallery room that my class was meeting in. Let's just say that it was very, very difficult.

Below are two works of art that I felt were especially important to make note of. I hope you all are able to leave this post with knowing a small tidbit of knowledge!!
Ginevra de' Benci, a painting of an Italian banker's daughter was completed around 1474/1478, before the Mona Lisa. Interesting fact for you all, this is actually the only Leonardo Da Vinci painting on public display in America. Another interesting fact is that this painting was actually cropped, the bottom half actually extended a bit farther down. If you would like to read more on the work, or to see a larger picture: click here.
Above, the artwork titled Adoration of the Magi was painted by both Fra Filippo Lippi and Fra Angelico for the Medici household, a wealthy family in Renaissance Italy. In this picture, we see the three magi bestowing their gifts on the infant Jesus Christ. As with many works of art of the time, this piece was commissioned by a wealthy patron and is painted to exhibit specific religious imagery. Religious art pieces in Renaissance Italy were composed to fulfill a purpose, to educate the masses, which in most cases were illiterate. More information on this piece can be found here.

Have you visited the National Gallery of Art?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

How beautiful! I'm a little rusty on my Art History, but I love it so so much!

If you think D.C. drivers are bad then you should come to Miami. They're the worst!

I was changing lanes yesterday and the guy behind me (on the lane I was switching from) speeds up and changes lanes and acts like I'm the one who cut him off. It's CRAZY!

Mandy said...

I was to scared to drive in DC. I learned the Metro quick!

Life Through Preppy Glasses said...

i have a slight feeling that new york drivers are worse than DC! haha


can you believe ive never officially gone to DC to do all the fun things there?!?

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

the national gallery and the natural history museum are my two favorite dc museums, and luckily they're right near each other! i love just wandering around the gallery and admiring all of the art!

According To Erica said...

I've never ben to the National Gallery of Art, but I have been to D.C. several times and I agree- D.C. drivers ARE the worst!!

Kristine - A Graceful Home said...

Would love to visit the National Gallery! Will put that on my list. New York drivers are pretty crazy too!!